Kelowna General Hospital is a tertiary teaching facility in conjunction with UBC Southern Interior Medical Program. The Hospital has recently undergone significant growth in the last 5 years. The KGH Foundation’s current human resource plan provides a strategy to match the growth of Kelowna General Hospital and we are currently seeking key positions to assist the KGH Foundation to achieve its goals.
The Kelowna General Hospital Foundation is the most successful health charity in BC outside of the lower mainland. Supporting the advancement of healthcare in the interior of British Columbia, we are a dynamic and strategic organization focused on excellence. We are looking for the very best.
Located in the center of the Okanagan, Kelowna offers the best of all worlds for people at all stages of their career. Vibrant culture, extensive outdoor recreation and a thriving wine and tourism industry make for a lifestyle worth striving for.
FINANCIAL SERVICES ACCOUNTING & BUSINESS SUPPORT COORDINATOR
Position – Full-time – Financial Services (2 days) & Business Enterprises (3 days)
Director of Financial Services, KGH Foundation
The Kelowna General Hospital Foundation, together with volunteers and Auxiliaries to the KGH Foundation (Kelowna, Rutland, Peachland and Winfield), participates in fundraising programs to enhance healthcare in our community. The Foundation has overall responsibility for the operation and management of its volunteer staffed business enterprises including: Royal Bistro (café); Perking Lot (coffee shop); Centennial Mercantile (gift shop); and Rutland Thrift Store. The Financial Services Accounting & Business Support Coordinator is the Foundation’s Finance team member who has responsibility for the full cycle accounting requirements of each venue.
The Coordinator directly leads and supports volunteer Treasurers ensuring all accounting tasks are completed in collaboration with them on a timely basis. The Coordinator prepares monthly financial statements and business reports for both the Financial Services office, and the Business Enterprise Manager, including variance analysis reporting relative to budget. Monitoring inventory control procedures, investigating/reconciling differences and coordinating inventory counts directly with the Business Enterprise staff, volunteers and auditor to help ensure internal control systems are functioning properly. The Coordinator will also work closely with Business Enterprises staff to confirm POS systems and procedures are working effectively with the back office systems.
Financial statements are also prepared by the Coordinator for the Auxiliaries to the KGH Foundation that cater events in the communities of Peachland and Winfield. This position will also assist the Financial Services office with KGH Foundation accounting, tax receipting and administrative duties as required.
- Building Good Working Relationships
- Valuing Contributions of Others
- Positive Interactions and Feedback
- Team Work
- Quality Orientation
- Time Management
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Result Focus
- Accountability and Dependability
- Accurate and Detail Oriented
- Provides leadership, direction and training to volunteer Treasurers serving as an expert in all functions related to financial accounting oversight.
- Responsible for the day-to-day accounting to accomplish accurate and timely month ends for the four auxiliaries’ ancillary to KGH Foundation.
- Coordinates and directs the processing of all financial paperwork (A/P invoices, payments, sales receipts, daily cash reconciliation of sales reports and till tapes, bank reconciliations and lobby sales), and maintains the integrity of the financial accounting software.
- Manages the month-end close process through preparation of journal entries and posting to the general ledger.
- Maintains capital asset schedules; files PST and GST returns; assists with inventory control programs; and oversees the functions of cash reconciling; receivables/billings to minimize cash shortages/overages and follows up on discrepancies; and gaming activity reconciliations.
- Prepares draft monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements (both individual and combined); cash flow statements and ad-hoc reports as a basis for decisions on resource allocations.
- Prepares year end working paper files for annual audit process as directed by the Director of Financial Services and responds to queries.
- Assists KGH Foundation Business Enterprises staff with preparation of annual operating budgets for the business venues.
- Proactively identifies areas of operational risk and recommends changes to internal control procedures to mitigate risk.
- Assists with provision of financial information to authorized representatives.
- Assist KGH Foundation Financial Services office and other duties as assigned.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Ability to work confidently under pressure to deadlines.
- Flexibility to perform other job requirements.
- Completion of two year accounting diploma program, enrollment in a recognized Professional
- Accounting Program (CGA, CMA, or CA) or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Strong knowledge of SAGE accounting software, excellent skills in Excel, Word, Outlook and database usage.
- Experience in non-profit and working with diverse volunteer groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to coach or mentor others.
- Ability to understand complex issues and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with key stakeholders.WORKING CONDITIONS
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required with time off in lieu of pay.
Interested applicants please send cover letter and resume to Dawn Everest:
Thanks you for your interest. Short-listed applicants will be contacted.
SITE MANAGER – Perking Lot
Business Enterprises Manager (B.E.M.)
The position is responsible for the operations of the Perking Lot Coffee Shop which are part of the Social Enterprises owned by the Kelowna General Hospital Foundation. The purpose of the position is to maximize growth and profitability by: adhering to an annual budget; merchandising effectively; building relationships; stewarding, training, scheduling and managing a volunteer workforce; developing and implementing operational policies, procedures, plans and new business initiatives.
- Food & Beverage & Retail management accompanied with a strong service orientation
- Volunteer management (ability to motivate unskilled and unpaid labour force)
- Team work
- Relationship development/stewardship
- Purchasing/inventory Control
- Creative and result focused thinking
- Accountability, dependability and sense of humor
- Ability to write and present a new business proposal
- Strong communication skills
- Ensure processes are in place to protect the safety, privacy and dignity of the volunteer workforce.
- Lead by example to manage and motivate the volunteer workforce
- Train all new volunteers
- Ensure processes are in place to monitor and manage adequate volunteer shift coverage
- POS management (ability to trouble shoot any POS or Moneris or Hardware issues)
- New business initiatives (ability to present on paper any new business proposals with supporting documentation, financial analysis, etc.)
- Report any and all HR issues to the Business Enterprises Manager
- Manage relationships with wholesalers
- Inventory control
- Quality control
- Supervise margins/balance budget
- Manage equipment maintenance and replacement
- On call duty
- Cover shifts (if unable to find adequate coverage) to ensure that the venue is open
- Cross-train and be able to assist with operations in all venue(s) when required
- Manage weekend on-call duties for all Kelowna General Hospital business venues as required.
- Work with the B.E.M. to create and implement a marketing strategy to ensure an adequate and skilled volunteer workforce for the business venue(s)
- Train and support volunteer workforce
- Manage HR issues with support of the B.E.M.
- Ensure that volunteers are adhering to IH, KGH and KGH Foundation policies and procedures for the venue(s) as well as being on site at KGH
- Mentor and monitor volunteer activities within the venues
- Handle volunteer issues
- Create a Volunteer Business Committee
- High level of professionalism in dealing with the public
- Significant ability to manage varied tasks simultaneously
- Strong management skills and ability to work with a non-skilled labour force
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Sense of humor
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of retail sales and food/beverage industry
- Knowledge of POS Systems and familiarity with computer hardware
- Computer knowledge an asset
- Mix of regular business hours combined with weekend and evening hours as required in concert with the needs of the business venue(s)
- Other duties as assigned.
Interested applicants please send cover letter and resume to Dawn Everest, email@example.com
Thanks you for your interest. Short-listed applicants will be contacted.