Permanent part-time 30 hours/week
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
Kelowna General Hospital Foundation is a leading charitable Foundation which enhances the quality of healthcare in our region through the funding of vital life-saving medical equipment, furnishings and patient care & comforts. Working together with volunteers and Auxiliaries to the KGH Foundation (Kelowna, Rutland and Peachland), we carry out fundraising programs to help fulfill our mandate.
As an integral member of the Foundation, the Business Enterprises Accountant will be responsible for the full cycle accounting requirements of our volunteer staffed business enterprises including: Royal Bistro (café); Perking Lot (coffee shop); Centennial Mercantile (gift shop) and the Rutland Thrift Store. As a key member of the Financial Services Team, the Business Enterprises Accountant will lead and support the volunteer Treasurers ensuring all accounting tasks are completed collaboratively and on a timely basis. You will work with the Business Enterprises Manager to gain an understanding of our operations overall and analyze financial data to provide feedback on results.
The successful candidate will have completed a two year accounting diploma or have a minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a full cycle accounting role. This position requires a high level of integrity, sound analytical thinking, effective time management and an ability to multitask while effectively managing competing demands. Experience working with volunteers.
We offer a competitive salary and full range of benefits to the successful applicant. For a complete job description please visit www.kghfoundation.com. If you possess the skills and qualifications for this exciting career opportunity please submit your cover letter and resume by May 14, 2018 to email@example.com with the subject line “BUSINESS ENTERPRISES ACCOUNTANT”.
Although we appreciate all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Kelowna General Hospital Foundation, together with volunteers and Auxiliaries to the KGH Foundation (Kelowna, Rutland, and Peachland), participates in fundraising programs to enhance healthcare in our community. The Foundation has overall responsibility for the operation and management of its volunteer staffed business enterprises including: Royal Bistro (café); Perking Lot (coffee shop); Centennial Mercantile (gift shop); Rutland Thrift Store; and also the Peachland Auxiliary who caters events in their community. Business Enterprises Accountant is the Foundation’s Finance team member who has responsibility for the full cycle accounting requirements of each venue and activities of the Peachland Auxiliary.
The Accountant directly leads and supports volunteer Treasurers ensuring all accounting tasks are completed in collaboration with them on a timely basis. The role includes preparation of monthly financial statements and business reports for both the Financial Services office, and the Business Enterprises Manager, including variance analysis reporting relative to budget. Monitoring inventory control procedures, investigating/reconciling differences and coordinating inventory counts directly with the Business Enterprises staff, volunteers and auditor to help ensure internal control systems are functioning properly. The Accountant works closely with Business Enterprises Manager and staff to confirm POS systems and procedures are working effectively with the back office systems.
- Building Good Working Relationships
- Valuing Contributions of Others
- Positive Interactions and Feedback
- Team Work
- Quality Orientation
- Time Management
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Result Focus
- Accountability and Dependability
- Accurate and Detail Oriented
- Provides leadership, direction and training to volunteer Treasurers serving as an expert in all functions related to financial accounting oversight.
- Responsible for the day-to-day accounting to accomplish accurate and timely month ends for the auxiliaries’ ancillary to KGH Foundation.
- Coordinates and directs the processing of all financial paperwork (A/P invoices, payments, sales receipts, daily cash reconciliation of sales reports and till tapes and lobby sales), and maintains the integrity of the financial accounting software.
- Preparation of inter-fund transactions and consolidation of venue financial statements.
- Manages the month-end close process through preparation of bank reconciliations, journal entries and posting to the general ledger.
- Maintains capital asset schedules; files PST and GST returns; assists with inventory control programs; and oversees the functions of cash reconciling; receivables/billings to minimize cash shortages/overages and follows up on discrepancies; and gaming activity reconciliations.
- Prepares draft monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements (both individual and combined); cash flow statements and ad-hoc reports as a basis for decisions on resource allocations.
- Prepares year end working paper files for annual audit process as directed by the CFO and responds to queries.
- Assists KGH Foundation Business Enterprises staff with preparation of annual operating budgets for the business venues.
- Proactively identifies areas of operational risk and recommends changes to internal control procedures to mitigate risk.
- Assists with provision of financial information to authorized representatives.
- Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Ability to work confidently under pressure to deadlines.
- Flexibility to perform other job requirements.
- Completion of two year accounting diploma program, enrollment in a recognized Professional Accounting Program or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Strong knowledge of SAGE accounting software, excellent skills in Excel, Word, Outlook and database usage.
- Experience in non-profit and working with diverse volunteer groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to coach or mentor others.
- Ability to understand complex issues and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required with time off in lieu of pay.